Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Required Documents

Documents Checklist

Pay special attention to any document that requires “original and copy”. Copies for certain documents are required for your application. Copies made at the Consulate cost $1 per page starting February 2, 2015.  

  • DS-2029 (Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad)

    Name of child:
     Some parents prefer the name appear on U.S. documents using the naming convention of only the paternal last name.  For instance, the child’s name on Ecuadorians documents is listed as Maria Jose GUZMAN RODRIGUEZ, but U.S. documents may only show Maria Jose GUZMAN (without the second/maternal last name of RODRIGUEZ).  If you would like your child’s name on the U.S. documents to be different from your child’s name in Ecuador, please complete form DS-60 Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name.  Please note that only reasonable name change requests will be considered.
  • Form DS-11 (Application for a U.S. passport), print the form on one sided pages and include one passport photo 2 in. x 2 in. with white background.
  • Parent(s)’ proof of U.S. citizenship 

-         Citizens born in the U.S.: original and copy of U.S. birth certificate, and U.S. passport.

-         U.S. Citizens born Overseas: original and copy of naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and original and copy of U.S. passport.

  • Child’s Ecuadorian birth certificate, original and copy. We will only accept certified copies from the Ecuadorian Civil Registry book of records, known as “Inscripción del Libro de Nacimientos”.  Documents that read “Partida” or “Certificado de Nacimiento” will not be accepted.
  • Marriage certificate, if married original and copy.  If married in Ecuador, we will only accept a certified copy from the Ecuadorian Civil Registry, known as “Inscripción de Matrimonio”.  Documents that read “Partida” or “Certificado de Matrimonio” will not be accepted.
  • Divorce decree, if divorced original and copy.  If divorced in Ecuador, we will only accept certified copies from the Ecuadorian Civil Registry, known as “Inscripción de Matrimonio”, which must be properly annotated showing the divorce resolution.  If divorced more than once, please make sure to bring ALL you divorce decrees to show termination of all marriages.
  • Mother and father’s valid photo identification original and copy, may include passport photo page, Ecuadorian identification card (cedula), or driver’s license.
  • Proof of physical presence in the United States.  Documents showing when the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States, regardless of immigration status.  Valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or U.S. citizen.  All physical presence must have occurred prior to the birth of the child.  Examples of documents to bring: Include U.S. school transcripts, U.S. tax records, Social Security Earnings Statements, U.S. immunization card, hospital records, etc. (original and copy) These documents will be returned to the parents.
  • Pregnancy records.  For example, echo sonograms, doctor's certificates, hospital bills, and printed photographs of mother during pregnancy.  Kindly ferain from bringing biological material as proof of pregnancy.

Regardless of the marital status of the parents, in cases in which paternity or maternity is in question, the consular officer may request additional evidence of the biological relationship between the parents and the child. In some cases, the consular officer may suggest DNA testing. If DNA testing is appropriate to your case, the consular officer will explain the process. Note: We can only accept DNA results that meet the guidelines provided by the consular officer.

  • Proof of relationship between parents:  For example, printed photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts.  Proof the couple was together at time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, Ecuadorian or U.S. temporary or legal residency documents, etc.
  • Children need to come in person, with at least one of the parents.  We encourage both parents to be present at the interview.  If only one parent is able to come, we will also ask for one of the following documents:

-         Custody order/decree, if one parent has sole custody (one copy) , OR,

-         Form DS-3053, (Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16).  This form must be signed and notarized by the non-applying parent and must be brought with a copy of a valid identification document to compare the signature.  Form DS-3053 must have been notarized within the last 3 months, OR

-         Power of Attorney giving the non-appearing parent’s unequivocal and unconditional consent to the issuance of the passport.  The powe of attorney will be kept for permanent filing.  It must be in English, and must be notarized.  A copy of an identification document to compare the signature must be included.  The power of attorney must have been notarized within the last 3 months, OR

-         Non-applying parent’s death certificate original and copy.