Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Notarial Services

The U.S. Consulate offers the following notarial services:

  • Oaths: The signee must come in person. The document must be drafted in English and be unsigned. The document should be intended for use in the United States of America.
  • U.S. Passport Issuance Consent Forms for Minors Under 16 (Form DS-3053): The consenting parent must come in person with the form unsigned. Notarization of this document is fee-exempt.
  • Certificates of Marital Status: Please see our "Marriage in Ecuador" section for more information.
  • Translators' Oaths: We may notarize translator's oaths for documents translated from Spanish to English. We do not certify translations from English to Spanish. We will not notarize translators' oaths in cases where the translator is unable to demonstrate English ability.

If you require any of these services, you must make an appointment using our online system. Make sure to have a printer ready, as you need to print the appointment confirmation page and present it upon arrival.

Please remember to bring a valid, original photo ID.

The fee for this service is $50 per notary signature required for your document, except in cases when the document is fee-exempt. 

The fee has to be paid at the U.S. Consulate General on the appointment day.  Payment of fees may be made by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club) or U.S. debit card.  We regret we cannot accept 100 dollar bills.  No personal checks are accepted.

Certification of U.S. Documents (birth certificates, marriage certificates, driver license, etc.)

The U.S. Consulate General cannot certify or authenticate U.S. issued documents.  If you need to certify a U.S. document to be used in Ecuador, or any country other than the U.S., please get in touch with the Secretary of State of the issuing state to request an apostille so the document is valid overseas.

To find the contact information for all U.S. Secretaries of State, please CLICK HERE.


We do not certify or apostille US-issued documents for use in Ecuador. If you need birth certificates or other documents certified in order to be used for Ecuadorian visas, please click here to read our page on how to obtain an apostille.

Marriage in Ecuador

Please refer to our page on Marriage in Ecuador for more information about the requirements for American citizens who wish to get married in Ecuador.

Academic Credentials

We are not able certify US academic credentials.  If you require this service please visit the following websites for assistance:

Authentication Services

We do not authenticate Ecuadorian notaries’ signatures.  If you require this service please contact the Ecuadorian Foreign Relations Ministry closest to your place of residence and request an apostille.    

Make an Appointment

  • Appointments must be made using our online appointment system available here.

    Please arrive promptly at your scheduled appointment time with your application forms completed, required documentation in order, one passport-sized photo, and an acceptable form of payment for the passport service.